MIDI-CI defines an architecture that allows Devices with bidirectional communication to agree to use extended MIDI capabilities beyond those defined in MIDI 1.0, while carefully protecting backward compatibility. MIDI-CI features “fall back” mechanisms so that if a Device does not support new features MIDI continues to work as defined by MIDI 1.0. Goals of MIDI-CI design:
Fully backward compatible: supports continued MIDI 1.0 functionality for any Devices that do not recognize extended MIDI features enabled by MIDI-CI.
- Allow easy configuration between MIDI-CI Devices.
- Sender can know the capabilities of a Receiver.
- Sender and Receiver can negotiate auto-configuration details
- Define method for negotiating choice of Protocol between Devices.
- Define method for using Profiles.
- Define method for Discovering, Getting, and Setting a wide range of Device Properties.