New

Note off

Saturday, 24 September 2022
  5 Replies
  2.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
I'm sending NOTE ON to a device (acoustic bass). The bass sounds and decays. After a second I send the next NOTE ON command, while the first note is still decaying.
So the second note interferes with the first one. Do I have to send a NOTE OFF with exactly the note to put off. Then I would have to keep in mind the last played note. Or is there a command "ALL NOTES OFF"?
2 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Short answer, "Yes."
It's standard procedure to follow a Note On with a Note Off after the appropriate duration, i.e. quarter note, half note, etc.
N.B. A Note Off message can take one of two forms 1/. Note Off - 8nH etc., or 2/. a Note On 9nH with a velocity of zero, both for the channel and note that was sounded.
2 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Ah, I see. Thanks. An "ALL NOTES OFF" (B0,00) as in the SAM2695 on bottom of p. 26 would not be appropriate?
2 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Nope.
All notes off is something one puts typically at the end of a MIDI file.
2 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
An important part of any music is normally the duration of any specific note. It is therefore useful to retain control of the durations. If you're using a keyboard as a controller, this helps as most keyboards generate a Note On when the key is pressed, and a Note Off when the key is released. I take it that you cannot use such a controller, for some reason. So you start a note, then lose control of it.

Not sure if this applies to you, but mand devices may have some degree of polyphony, so they can play more than one note at once. Usually, there is some limit. If there is no explicit Note Off, notes may be still playing, and using up part of the polyphony, even if notes cannot be heard due to the envelope having reduced the sound. In due course, new notes will not be possible as the polyphony has been use up. Explicit Note Off will avoid this problem.

All Note Off could be used, but it would be a help to know how this works on your system. Does your system know which notes are playing, or does it need to check ALL notes to find the ones that are playing (even if not heard) to turn them OFF. This might be OK, but there might be too much time delay involved.

If you're using any sort of software, you could maintain your own list of Notes On, so you DO know which notes are On. Then you would know which notes to turn off. If you are generating the Note On via software, i.e. NOT using a keyboard) then you could create a duration as well, and automate the generation of a Note Off?.

Geoff
2 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks, Geoff, actually I'm testing that SAM2695 with an Arduino Nano with a small test program which sends notes.
Final aim is to midify a bass pedal of a Hammond organ (25 notes). The playing mode is monophonic, that is, only one note is played at a time. The next played note mutes the previous one. Moreover, just tappinp and releasing a pedal key does not mute the played note. The note decays like a plucked string on an acoustic bass. Midi source is a midi controller made by a firm from Poland, midi-hardware.com.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.