fbpx

The MIDI Forum

Friday, 17 December 2021
  4 Replies
  3.3K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Are there any specific-format MIDI players for Windows?

Meaning a player that is restricted to just GM1 functionality, just GM2 functionality, just GS functionality, just XG functionality? Like maybe an emulator for a specific old synth or similar?

I know it's a stretch, but it would help me test things more accurately. My current player software has support for almost everything, so it ironically makes it harder to test features of my editor.
5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
Windows Media Player ist not a synthesizer; it merely sends MIDI messages to some port.

Hmm, yes, I suppose I meant the default Windows 98 MS Synth. IWMP currently plays back using the Yamaha SoftSynth as that is MY default.
Votes
Undo
Windows Media Player ist not a synthesizer; it merely sends MIDI messages to some port.
5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have MIDI Player, which uses the S-YXG50 VSTi plugin. But it supports/plays everything as far as I can tell. I also have the S-YXG100Plus SoftSynth in a Win98 virtual machine, so I think maybe I'm good on the XG front.

I'll try to find VSC-MP1 to test out.

Curious if Windows Media Player from Win98 would be good for testing strictly GM1, as GM2 wasn't around until 1999?
Votes
Undo
Roland and Yamaha made software implementations of GS and XG synthesizers (VSC-MP1, S-YXG50), but they are discontinued.

Almost all synthesizers support some part of GS; if you want to confirm that a MIDI file restricts itself to only one standard, you have to write your own checker.
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!